Sunday, January 07, 2007

First Impressions

Beer: The local brew is San Miguel Pale Pilsen. It
comes with a Gothic looking label and costs between
30-50p a bottle [hurrah!]. Interestingly the canned
version has a photo printed on the back of two
underage & sozzled girls giggling, blearily clutching
beers in one hand and the table in the other. Since I
can't read the text, I am not sure if this is a advert
or a warning [grin]. The front of the label, however
is in English and San Miguel is described as being the
"only beer that nurtures true Filipino friendships" so
that's nice.

Tourism: Not that much of it [so far] and they are
very relaxed about it. They are only touts I've ever
met who gladly take 'No' for an answer and then wish
you a Happy New Year. [There IS however a lot of sex
tourism - but this subject deserves a blog all of it's
own - almost every... no scrap that, every white bloke
over the age of 40 has a piece of 18-yr old Filipina
totty on his arm.]

Beach Sellers: This is a whole new world of beach
trading [smile] - I should explain - this is a
profession I take great interest in since I was once a
necklace & hair wrap [remember them?] seller in Corfu.
I am used to beach traders selling jewellery, sarongs,
drinks, etc - the usual stuff. This afternoon, whilst
chilling on the beach, I was offered: a guitar, a
billiard cue, a metal pan scourer and [my favourite] a
2m x 50cm brass picture showing a battle of unknown
origin. Am I missing something?!

I have this lovely image in my head of 'Janet & John'
on the beach and all-of-a-sudden John jumps up and
says
"Goddammit I forgot my billiard cue! Now where can I
get one in a hurry?"

Diving: I've done three dives so far - 2 average, one
fab. Earlier today I saw three White-Tip Reef Sharks!
[two babies, one 5 footer] Yummy! But there's loads of
stuff I've never seen before: fabulous corals
[specially soft corals], multi-coloured basket stars,
neon starfish, groovy flat worms, hairy crabs [big
grin]... but not that many fish! Although I did see a
giant barracuda this morning [about as big as me] he
was cool and posed nicely!

BUT: I fell! Boo! Was coming out of my room, early
morning and I [foolishly] attempted to come down the
wet, shiney, painted steps in my flip-flops - what a
muppet!

Whoosh...

I was lucky, after a bounce or two [grin] I slipped
off the side of the steps and landed in the mud rather
than on the concrete below. So I have some alarming
bruises, a slightly damaged ego [fortunately my ego
bounces better than the rest of me], a nasty cut on my
shin [where I hit the concrete] and a silly walk
[smile].

I got a telling off from one of the girls who works
here - I retreated back to my room [for a little cry]
and she followed me up to see if I was ok. She wagged
her finger at me [she's about 15] and said
"Very smooth" pointing at the steps, "very slippy"
pointing at my flip-flops, "you no wear - you fall!"
I know!" said I, indignantly
"Aaaah" she said "you cry" and she gave me a pat.

Since then all the girls have been fussing over me as
if I was an invalid... and an idiot [sigh] - I
probably deserve it.

2 comments:

Mr Hyde said...

Rain rain and more rain. The New Year in London has so far been mostly damp and cold. No Coral and no fish save manky looking bits in batter. On the plus side i now have an mp3 player and the world is a disco (without any disco music obviously). I'm glad you had a good trip out and sorry you got a bobo on your leg. Don't let the sharks get a sniff of the blood. They've been know to come out of the water and travel up to 5 miles inland to get someone with a muddy cut. ;)

I look forward to hearing your adventures. have agood one. And Happy New Year. :)

claire t-w said...

It always sucks when you fall and there is no one there to commiserate with you. I can definately relate to the bruised ego - I am pretty klutzy gal.

Wish I was there with you!

Keep blogging - love to hear from you